by Aparna Anurag Updated February 7,2014
SummaryDal Makhani is a staple food originating from the Punjab region of the Indian subcontinent. Dal makhani was popularized in India following partition, when many people from the Punjab migrated to the northern regions of India. As the Punjabi diasporamigrated across India and internationally, the dish was introduced to local consumers by entrepreneurial Punjabi migrants who opened restaurant businesses. Dal makhani is now universally recognized as a quintessentially Indian dish, and variations of the fare are served in a wide variety of eateries and restaurants internationally.
Preparation Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Total Time: 30 min
Recipe type:Vegetarian Recipe/Side dish
Cuisine: IndianServes: 2-3
Author: Aparna Anurag
· 1/2 cup whole urad dal
· 1/8 cup chana
· 1 teaspoon grated ginger
· 1 minced Hari Mirc
· 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (Haldi)
· 3/4 teaspoon salt
· 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
· 1/4 cup cream
· 2 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter
· 1/2 teaspoon cumin seed (Jeera)
· Pinch of asafetida (Hing)
· 3 to 4 whole red chilies (Sabut Lal Mirch)
· 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder optional (Lal Mirch)
2 bay leaves/Tej patta
· 1/2 tablespoon shredded ginger and finely chopped coriander leaves
1. Wash urad dal and chana dal well and soak dal in about 6 cups of water for about 8 hours. After soaking dal will be about 2 1/2 times the volume of the original.
2. In pressure cooker add dal with four cups of water, salt, turmeric, ginger and green pepper, cook on medium high heat.
3. As pressure cooker starts steaming turn the heat down to medium and cook for about 25 minutes.
4. Turn off the heat and wait until steam has stopped before opening the pressure cooker. Dal should be soft and tender.
5. Lightly mash the dal , cook for another 5 minutes on low medium heat.
6. Add cream, garam masala, and let it cook for about 10 minutes on low heat.
7. Heat the ghee in a small saucepan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if it cracks right away the oil is ready.
8. Add cumin seeds, and as the cumin seeds crack add asafetida, red chilies ,bay leaves,gingerpaste, red chili powder and stir for a few seconds.
9. Add 1 teaspoon of water to keep the spices from burning. Pour spiced ghee over dal.
10. Garnish with shredded ginger and coriander leaves