Baigan ka bharta
by Aparna Anurag Updated February 7,2014
SummaryBaingan bharta or Baingan ka bhurtha or Baingan da bhurtha is a South Asian dish baring similarities to baba ganoush. Baingan bharta is a part of the national cuisines of both India and Pakistan.In Pakistan, baingan bharta is popular cuisine, while in India it is also a part of the cuisines of Maharashtra, Bihar, Orissa, and West Bengal.
Preparation Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 45 min
Total Time: 1 hr 10min
Recipe type:Vegetarian Recipe
Cuisine: IndianServes: 2-3
Author: Aparna Anurag
Onion-1chopped very fine
• Ttomato-1 chopped very fine
• Green chillies-2-3 chopped very fine (optional)
• Ginger-1/2inch chopped very fine
• Coriander-1/4 cup chopped
• Panch Phoran-1tsp
• Kari patta-4-5 leaves
• Haldi powder-1/2tsp
• Mirchi powder-1/2tsp
• Coriander powder-1tsp
• Cumin powder-1tsp
• Salt to taste
• Roast on a gas cooktop by just placing the eggplant straight on the burner and keeping the flame on low setting. Keep turning and cooking till all the skin on the eggplant is charred and the inner flesh looks really soft. A good sign to watch for is that the eggplant seems to 'cave in' on itself!
• Grill in your oven grill or on your barbecue grill. Again, keep turning periodically till all the skin on the eggplant is charred and the inner flesh looks really soft.
• 'Roast' in your oven till all the skin on the eggplant is charred and the inner flesh looks really soft.
• Once the eggplant is roasted, allow to cool fully and then peel off and discard the charred skin and stem.
• Mash the eggplant roughly, in a mixing bowl.
• Add oil, onion, tomato, green chillies,ginger paste and all spices,salt to taste. Mix well.
• When done serve in a bowl and garnish with coriander leaves.